Friday, March 26, 2010

Getting Ready


I'm having to relearn all of my own music!

My first concert since Buddy died is coming up in about a month. I am so pleased to be sharing the stage with my good friend and fellow artists Greg Maroney. Greg and I will be performing our original compositions at a concert benefiting the York (PA) College Nurse Managed Care Centers in York County.

The concert will be Friday, April 30th at 7 PM, at DeMeester Recital Hall on the campus of York College, York, PA.

Greg and I will also be performing that weekend on the Harmony Grove Concert Series: Saturday May 1st at 7PM and Sunday May 2nd at 2PM. Email gregmaroney@yahoo.com for tickets. Better hurry, tickets are selling fast.

So I am practicing the piano at least 6 hours a day, not only my own music, but I am also learning (finally) Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit.

This reminds me of a story about pianist Moriz Rosenthal, who was once forced to listen to a prodigy. The conversation went something like this:
"How old are you?"
"Seven, sir."
"What would you like to play for me?"
"Please, sir, the Tchaikovsky concerto, sir."
"Too old!"

To old or not, I'm totally immersed in the Ravel, and Jan has a hard time getting me out of my music studio. In addition, I'm either polishing or keep up a lot of other classical repertoire, plus reviewing the music from Timeless and A Nice Boy From Brooklyn...

Those of you who have seen me in concert know that my wife Jan is one of my favorite subjects. Here's a true story that I especially like to tell:

Several years ago after one of my concerts, a newspaper critic walked up to Jan and asked, " How does it feel to be married to a man who has been touched by the hand of God?"

Jan made the unfortunate mistake of telling me this...

So today, whenever Jan and I have an argument, all I have to say is, "Jan, how DARE you disagree with a man who has been touched by the hand of God?"

Here's a picture of my muse and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my News Page. This is where you will find up to the minute information about recording projects, new releases, upcoming performances and more. You will want to visit every week because each FridayI will be offering a new original song for you to download.........free! In addition, from time to time I will be sharing studio happenings, what I am listening to, favorite books, and glimpses into my personal life. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions on what you would like to know about me and my music.

Followers

Search This Blog