Friday, March 19, 2010

Blount Springs


Jan, her mom Lou and I took a day trip to Holly Pond recently. I had never been where Lou grew up, and I wanted to learn more about her heritage. We saw the old home place, the family cemetery, and I learned a lot about her younger years.

There's a lot of farm country there, and I drove past a sign that said, "Bulls for Sale...New or Used". Pretty funny... Sorry I didn't get a picture of it.

We drove through the Blue Hole Village of Blount Springs on the way home. Designed by town planners Andres Duany and Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, it is a lovely place. Duany Plater-Zyberk, by the way, planned the wonderful resort of Seaside, Florida, which holds many great memories for our family.

Jan and I have visited Seaside many times. I've played a couple of concerts there, and we celebrated Jan's parents' 50th anniversary at Seaside. We were there while the Truman Show was being filmed.

Jan and I at one time considered buying property in the Blount Springs community, but what made us decide against it was the local school system. If the developer had opted to build a private school within the village, I'm convinced that Blount Springs would have been a resounding success. That oversight has kept the Blue Hole Village from becoming the vibrant community it might have been. It has everything else going for it. If only they'd asked me... :)

The houses are architecturally very much like those at Seaside - Victorian in style, painted in pastel colors, with tin roofs. I am attaching a photo of the waterfall and lake from the entrance to Blount Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my News Page. This is where you will find up to the minute information about recording projects, new releases, upcoming performances and more. You will want to visit every week because each FridayI will be offering a new original song for you to download.........free! In addition, from time to time I will be sharing studio happenings, what I am listening to, favorite books, and glimpses into my personal life. Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions on what you would like to know about me and my music.

Followers

Search This Blog